英語 Synonyms for toilet

Poziomka posted on Jun 17, 2011 at 01:41PM
It is not a beautiful topic, yet there are so many names of it, that I just couldn't resist to mention some of them!

Organized after harold’s advice:

Room:
loo, the john, bathroom, lavatory, wash-room, rest room, convenience, boys' room, girls' room, gents', gents' room, ladies', ladies' room, privy, water-closet,
W.C., powder-room.

Appliance:
toilet, throne, latrine.

Any other?
last edited on Aug 05, 2011 at 05:37PM

英語 2 返信

Click here to write a response...
1年以上前 MJsValentine said…
Haha, 'John'? Seriously?! :P

Let's see...
throne, potty, latrine, outhouse, netty...

Can't think of any other at the moment.
1年以上前 harold said…
Well, a lot of those are synonyms for the place containing the toilet, rather than the toilet itself. So I suggest it's two lists, one for the room, one for the appliance. They're differentiated by usage, among other things: one is IN the room, one is ON the appliance. For instance, if someone says "Hey, where are you?" You'd say "I'm in the little girl's room!" or "I'm on the crapper!" as appropriate.

Room: bathroom, water closet (also W.C.), the head, restroom, little girls' room, little boys' room, ladies', men's room, ladies' room, the john, the jakes, powder room, lavatory, outhouse, bio breakroom, the library, lav, dunny, long drop, kybo, biffy

appliance: toilet, potty, latrine, crapper, porcelain god, the bowl, s***ter, p*** shelf, can, commode, stool, chamber pot, throne