ディベート What's your prejudice?

Cinders posted on Oct 15, 2007 at 05:50PM
I was worried about posting this as a pick, or posting this at all, but it's true that we all have at least one. Now I'm not saying you hate a certain group of people, or indeed even if your prejudice determines how you act towards a person at all, but you cannot deny having a little bit of misgivings towards a certain group of people. If the movie Crash has taught us anything, or indeed Avenue Q's (in)famous song, "Everyone's a Little Bit Racist" has displayed in a lighter tone, prejudice towards race, religion, sexuality, gender, political beliefs, etc still exist in modern society.

So basically, I'm asking when you meet a person and learn that they are (insert prejudice here), do you become a little more reserved? Maybe a little scared? A little arrogant? A little nervous?

My prejudice (and I admit it freely) is Christians. Until I learn how Christian they are, I become reserved, I have certain misgivings, but I smile and treat them well, "like a good Christian should."

That doesn't mean I'm not friends with devout Christians! I think Christianity is beautiful in principal, but often judgmental in practice. As Ghandi said once, "I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."

Anyways, I know you all have other prejudices. Maybe towards Arabs, or liberals, or conservatives, or blacks, or whites, or scientologists, or Mormons, or gays, or the transgendered, or Mexicans...

Is this a bad topic? I'm just curious. Because anyone who says they are completely unbiased, and unjudging of those different from them is either lying or has never met anyone truly different from them.

Please, no one be offended. Christians are cool. I'm just saying, I'm wary of them. I'm sure you're wary of a certain group of people too.

To judge and fear the different is inherent in our nature, a primal instinct that teaches us survival of the fittest. If they are different, then they are our enemy, and threaten our species. That's our evolutionary logic. But it's intellect, it's compassion, that allows us to overcome this instinct, and allows us to rise above the animalistic urge to fear the different. Once we recognize that we have a prejudice, we can deal with it.

I hope I haven't offended anyone. I know I'm treading on thin ice. This may be politically incorrect, but I believe the world needs more of that.

And as I said to MajorDork, being politically incorrect is telling a racist joke to someone belonging to that race in jest, making light of a stereotype, all in good fun (A little white girl telling an Arab joke to a room full of Egyptians-- and having them laugh at her because they have to respect her audacity). Being racist and hurtful is believing the stereotype of the joke, spreading the stereotype, and advocating for exterminating the race in one form or other (IE, Ann Coulter's plan to "perfect" all Jews and make them Christian).

ディベート 112 返信

Click here to write a response...
You've gone too far. Reloading last forum page...