ディベート We've ロスト the 9/11 Feeling!

MajorDork74 posted on Sep 11, 2007 at 11:20PM
People have been asking me yesterday and last night: "What are you going to do on 9/11?" I remember back on that day, I was flying to Omaha for a golf tournament, turned out to be the last charity golf tournament that Warren Buffett put on. I left here, South Florida, about eight a.m., I believe, something like that, and we got a phone call aboard the plane around 9:30, 9:45 saying, "You gotta turn around. You gotta get back. You've got 90 minutes to get where you're going and if you don't get there, put down in 90 minutes." Air traffic control was clearing the skies. And I said, "What happened?" "The World Trade Center's been hit." "You're kidding." But we had no pictures up there at the time, didn't have DirecTV on the plane. This is why, by the way, I broke down and decided to put DirecTV on the plane. Sorry for the self-absorption, ladies and gentlemen. It's a personal story, however it's relevant to events of the day.

So we landed at some out of the way place near Orlando, rented a car, flight attendant Jody drove me back here to the hangar where my car was. It wasn't 'til two o'clock that I saw pictures of what had happened, and I, you know, was just stunned. I remember I got here behind the Golden EIB Microphone maybe for a half hour, 45 minutes. The next day, on September 12th, after having a night to think about it, one of the things that I concluded was that the worst thing we could do would be to shut down the country every 9/11, because that's what they tried to do. I remember saying to you on this program, "What were those almost 3,000 people at the World Trade Center and the Pentagon doing at that time, that morning? They were going to work." I think we can get too self-absorbed, if you'll pardon the use of the term, with constant memorials that shut down everything. Go ahead and memorialize it as we are, but don't stop going to work; don't stop making the country work; don't let this every year shut down the United States of America. That's what keeps America working is Americans working, and that's what we all need to keep doing.

But here's what I do want to ask you to do today, and this is something you can do yourself. We don't need to spend a whole lot of time here on the radio reliving it in order for you be able to accomplish this. I want you to take, especially with what is happening in the country today and around the world, the threats that we are faced with, take just a few seconds and recall how you felt on that day when you first saw pictures or when you first heard what had happened. We usually don't want to dwell on feelings. We like to deal in thoughts here at the EIB Network. But this is an exception. Because I think we've lost the feeling, and naturally so. These are not the kind of feelings you want to revisit. They're not the kind of feelings you want to stew in. I think you should, though. I think you should take the time whenever you have time today, just think back to how you felt. I don't care what the feeling was: shock, sorrow, disbelief, rage, anger, desire for immediate reciprocity. Because I think the whole country needs to be yanked back into the memorial of how we all felt that day, how scared, how helpless, how stunned and how shocked and how sad and how mad everyone was as the event unfolded right before our eyes. This is one bad memory be that we need to keep as a bad memory and never forget it, if we are to deal with these people who perpetrated this act effectively in the future.

link

ディベート 3 返信

Click here to write a response...
1年以上前 LoopyLuna96 said…
A bit of a late reply, but still.
When I found out, I was at my friends birthday party. I remember, I was scared, as I was 5, and had been on the towers 2 weeks earlier. I just remember pictures of smoke and stuff on the TV. It was weird.
last edited 1年以上前
1年以上前 Sappp said…
I remember too. I was on my home from school and ran into a friend of mine. He said: 'an airplane hit a big tower in New York.' and I asked him 'which one, the Chrysler?' He was not sure and I went home were I saw that it was the WTC. When I was just home and looking at it on the news, the second plane hit, or perhaps it had just hit and they were replaying it, I'm not sure anymore.

I felt extremely sad. I saw people hanging from the windows or actually jumping down.
I just could not believe anyone would do that and was in a way hoping it was a freak accident. But at the same time I realised it had to be some kind of attack because the odds were just to low to be a coincidence, two planes hitting those towers.
I remember feeling so sad for the people in the buildings, so proud of the people who were trying to save them, even though I am from the Netherlands.
I also remember being scared for what would follow. A war? Could this be the start of a Third World War?

Even though this did not happen to my country, I felt confused, scared and sad.
1年以上前 housefrk said…
I'm in the same time zone as New York, so when the attack was going down, I was in school. Fourth grade, to be more specific. I was nine. I remember they called the teachers down to the office, and when they all came back, they were visibly upset, but they wouldn't tell us why. I later learned that they told the fifth graders what was going on. Fourth grade, apparently, what the cuttoff point.

So, anyway, I didn't really think about it again for the rest of teh school day. I showed up at daycare and the older kids were talking about a plane crashing into a building, but I didn't really think it sounded like a big deal because planes crash sometimes. Then, when I got home, my mom told us (me and my brother, who was six at the time) that some planes crashed into the World Trade Center, the Pentagon, and a field in Pennsylvania, and that we might hear people talking about it, but I didn't even know what the World Trade Center was, so I didn't really care. Then she turned on the news and they were showing that clip that's really famous now of the second plane hitting the south tower, but she turned it back off because she didn't want us to see the plane hit the building. That's all I remember.

Bottom line, I was too young to really understand what was going on. I think they must have explained it to us at school the next day, but I don't remember.