ディベート ディベート experiment for December

harold posted on Dec 05, 2008 at 05:05AM
OK, so I've got another debate experiment in mind for this month. I have in mind a debate topic which two teams will debate. I need at least six volunteers. Any takers?

Edit: What I have in mind is a blind topic debate with random collaborative teams and critical evaluation. That is to say, there will be two teams, selected at random from the volunteers. Once the teams are selected, the topic to be debated will be revealed (I've got several topics that haven't been addressed in this spot yet, but for which there is plenty of material available for constructing arguments) and the positions assigned to the teams. The members of each team will determine how they collaborate together on their own (do they each come up with arguments, counter-arguments, composition of the arguments, or does each one focus on one aspect, etc).

The debate itself will be conducted thus:
One member from each team will make an opening statement.

Then there will be three rounds. Each round, one member will make arguments for his/her team's position, and one member from each team will respond to the opposing team's arguments. At the end of three rounds, each person on each team will have presented arguments and responded to the opposition's arguments. One person from each team will make a closing statement.

Some number of other participants will then provide an evaluation of the debate, critically commenting on whatever aspect of the debate they so desire.

Once the opening statements, three rounds of arguments and responses, closing statements and evaluations are posted, the winning team will be determined democratically, by a pick question.
last edited on Dec 09, 2008 at 04:43AM

ディベート 18 返信

Click here to write a response...
1年以上前 harold said…
Since no one is responding, I'll have to dig up the names from the earlier thread from...September?
1年以上前 Sappp said…
Me!

And the offer to help you with anything if needed from september also still stands.

1年以上前 Cinders said…
I'll do it.
1年以上前 harold said…
OK, so that's two. Let's say that if you want to participate, we'll need to start by the end of the week in order to take advantage of the upcoming winter holidays and the greater time many will have away from their studies and/or jobs to follow this. So please respond to me in a message by the end of the day Friday, 12 December, if you want to participate as a debater or evaluator.
1年以上前 Jonapello23 said…
I'll participate.
1年以上前 harold said…
Just a few hours more for volunteers. Thanks to everyone who has sent me a message!

Note: as I've just moved to a new apartment, it may take a couple of days to get the internet connection working well, so I'll be starting the debate early next week.
1年以上前 Sappp said…
I'm looking forward to it :).
1年以上前 greekthegeek said…
If this isn't dead yet, i'll participate.
1年以上前 11relaxing said…
me too
1年以上前 harold said…
Excellent! I'll post an update later today to get the ball rolling.
1年以上前 ShadowFlame said…
So, what's the where, & when?
1年以上前 rusty746454 said…
i will
1年以上前 harold said…
I'll come back later with an article describing the debate premise and teams a little later, but I wanted to share the subject of the debate: eminent domain.
1年以上前 Sappp said…
... I'll research that :S
1年以上前 harold said…
Good; that's part of it.

I have to apologize, folks: we just moved and the local telephone company is having a hard time getting our internet connection working correctly. So all of my Fanpop time has to be during breaks at work, which kinda limits how fast I can crank out articles (already a slow process)!
1年以上前 harold said…
link explaining the debate format, the teams and the topic. Please respond by 22 December if you have communicated with the other members of your debate team and the three of you can't figure a way to make the schedule work for you.
last edited 1年以上前
1年以上前 harold said…
Just a reminder that today's the deadline for the second round counter arguments. The debate looks pretty one-sided so far.
1年以上前 Sappp said…
I will post a closing (I think), but there is nothing I can argue against right now, unfortunately.