© 2006-2019 Fanpop, Inc., 無断複製禁止.
The Fact of the 日
posted on Dec 16, 2007 at 06:55AM
many forums have a A-Z or list of quotes so i think this spot should have a list of random facts! i'll start us off with
Flamingos can only eat with their heads upside down.
just put anything u find interesting
last edited on Dec 16, 2007 at 11:29PM
Click here to write a response...
30% of all couples in the world are first cousins
beer was invented by monks
nachos is the most popular food to be craved by pregnant women
Coca-Cola used to have trace amounts of cocaine in it. It became cocaine free in 1929.
at age 37, Jack Nicholson discovered that the person he thought was his sister, was actually his biological mother... sounds almost like 'Chinatown', doesn't it?
until unborn babies are at least 3 weeks old, they are all female which is why guys have nipples
opossums have 13 nipples.
just found this one which i think is brilliant (sorry leftys)
right handed people on average live 9 years longer than left handed people
In york(England) any English man may by law shoot Scottsmen within the city walls after midnight with a longbow. (old laws eh! briliant)
Oh and in 2000 the pope (john Paul i think) was made an honnery Globe Trotter!
i thought i was at sunset on the welsh border?
7,000 new insect species are discovered every year
since it's Christmas time
did you know that Santa was originally green until coca cola put him in a red suit to match the coca cola logo
the song "Rudolf the red nose reindeer" was originally a jingle for a chain store
the power of the media eh?
both probally, England was/is vary paranoid about being Invaded.
80% of the worlds population have never heard a dial-tone
In Czechoslovakia, there is a church that has a chandelier made out of human bones. (i'll try and find out were)
found it check out forums to find out more
their is a jumper knitted from woven human hair made by a barber in the Ripley's believe it or not museum in blackpool
Cellophane is not made of plastic. It is made from a plant fiber, cellulose, which has been shredded and aged.
Glass cracks at 3000 miles an hour. To actually film it cracking, you'd need a camera that could take a million frames per second.
100 pounds of chocolate is eaten every second in america!
Alfred Hitchcock didn't have a belly button
A rat can last longer without water than a camel.
ummmmmm A baby is born every single minute
actually the stastitic is 3 babies born every minute
with out artificial coloring coca cola would be green
if you cut off a cocroach's head it would only die days after due to starvation
oh and a platipus has no nipples
wow how many nipple facts do we have?
JELL-O is made from bones and hides of pigs and cows.
"did you know that Santa was originally green until coca cola put him in a red suit to match the coca cola logo"
thats an urban myth..santa had red coats before.. and green...
and blue! I just saw this lady on tv who had a huge collection of santa clause pictures and postcards that prove that its a myth..! maybe coca cola just made it popular and everyone started adjusting
you can get drunk by just bathing in alcohol
this might not exactly be a fact but.....A woman who had recently visited South America, where she had safaried in local rainforest, began to experience severe pains in her left ear, accompanied by headaches, dizziness and constant rustling sounds, at first put down to tetanus. It became so serious that exploratory surgery was required, which revealed that a spider which had become trapped in her ear. Eventually it had eaten through her eardrum and was living within the aural cavity. The rustling sounds were from the spider crawling around inside her skull. An egg sac was also removed.
"scientists say that out some 75,000 species of spider there are none that lay eggs inside the flesh of humans. this is strictly an urban legend"-uhm..
Spiders are attracted to cats and dogs before humans.
theres more on the urban legends spot btw
Restaurants may not charge for water unless it is accompanied by or containing something like ice or lemons.
All English males over the age 14 are to carry out 2 or so hours of longbow practice a week supervised by the local clergy.
London Hackney Carriages (taxis/cabs) must carry a bale of hay and a sack of oats.
Any person who shall pretend or exercise to use any type of witchcraft, sorcery, enchantment, or pretend knowledge in any occult or or craft or science shall for any such offense suffer imprisonment at the time of one whole year and also shall be obliged to obscursion for his/her good behavior.(Ireland)
woa where are these rule set in place?
i think your fibbing about the first one lol
Nope they're really old and in Washington it's illegal to paint polka-dots on the American flag
In New York the penalty for jumping off a building is death!
love the irony
30-75% of male giraffes have engaged in homosexual mating rituals
One must make a loud noise before passing a car on the left.(Rhode Island)
There is enough graphite in the average pencil to draw a line 35 miles long, that’s 45,000 words.
The first product to have a bar code was Wrigleys gum!
Rubber bands last longer when refrigerated.
We use only 10% of our brains.The other 90 per cent is full of untapped potential and undiscovered abilities.So far scientist unable to discover yet.
-Time slows down near a black hole; inside it stops completely.
-Eskimos use refrigerators to keep food from freezing.
-When opossums are playing 'possum, they are not "playing." They actually pass out from sheer terror.
-You are more likely to be killed by a champagne cork than by a poisonous spider.
-The flea can jump 350 times its body length.
-The male praying mantis cannot copulate while its head is attached to its body. The female initiates sex by ripping the males head of.
-Every 100g of Corn Flakes has 1 mg of fecal matter (ewww, i'll never eat corn flakes again!)
-Dogs mouths are 200 times more cleaner then human mouths.
-Rats can't vomit - that's why rat poison works.
-If a wolf gets its leg caught in a trap, it will chew it off.
-Moths have white blood.
-Rock Music kills plants.
-If you fart consistently for 6 years and 9 months, enough gas is produced to create the energy of an atomic bomb.
-The male praying mantis cannot copulate while its head is attached to its body. The female initiates sex by ripping the males head off.
-Rats and horses can't vomit.
-If you sneeze too hard, you can fracture a rib.
-If you try to suppress a sneeze, you can rupture a blood vessel in your head or neck and die.
-If you keep your eyes open by force, they can pop out.
-Rats multiply so quickly that in 18 months, two rats could have over a million descendants.
-Wearing headphones for just an hour will increase the bacteria in your ear by 700 times.
-A duck's quack doesn't echo, and no one knows why.
-Our eyes are always the same size from birth, but our nose and ears never stop growing.
-In ancient Egypt, priests plucked every hair from their bodies,
including their eyebrows and eyelashes.
-A crocodile cannot stick its tongue out.
-A starfish can turn its stomach inside out.
-An Octopus will eat its own arms if it gets really hungry.
-An oyster can change its gender.
-The sea cucumber spills its internal organs out as a defense mechanism.
-A leech has 32 brains.
-In order to scare away predators, Giant petrels, a type of seabird, throw up all over the intruder.
-Moose have very poor vision. Some have even tried to mate with cars.
-If one places a tiny amount of liquor on a scorpion, it will instantly go mad and sting itself to death.
-When frogs eat something that is poisonous or otherwise bad for them, they can throw up their entire stomach.
-A goldfish has a memory span of 3 seconds.
-A snail breathes through its foot.
-Fish can drown.
-The bullfrog is the only animal that never sleeps.
-To escape the grip of a crocodile's jaws, push your thumbs into its eyeballs-it will let you go instantly.
-The average chocolate bar has 8 insects' legs in it.
-A shrimp's heart is in its head.
-Animals can naturally explode.
-A fetus can get trapped inside of its twin.
-A chicken once had its head cut off and survived for over eighteen months, headless.
-A chicken loses its feathers when it becomes stressed.
-A girraffe can clean its ears with its tongue.
-A snail have four noses.
-A rabbit is not able to vomit.
-More people die from eating sharks then from being eaten by them. This is due to a poison in shark meat.
-A snail can crawl across a razor blade without getting injured. This is possible because they excrete a slime that protects them.
-Desert snails can stay in their shell for up to three years.
-Snails eat with a rasping mouth called a "radula," which has thousands of teeth.
-There are no snakes in New Zealand.
-A blue whale's tongue is so large that fifty people could stand on it.
-An adult blue whale's heart beats about 5-6 times a minute.
-An octopus has three hearts.
1. If you are struck by lightning, your skin will be heated to 28,000 degrees Centigrade, hotter than the surface of the Sun.
2. If you trace your family tree back 25 generations, you will have 33,554,432 direct ancestors – assuming no incest was involved.
3. The average distance between the stars in the sky is 20 million miles.
4. It would take a modern spaceship 70,000 years to get to the nearest star to earth.
5. An asteroid wiped out every single dinosaur in the world, but not a single species of toad or salamander was affected. No one knows why, nor why the crocodiles and tortoises survived.
6. If you dug a well to the centre of the Earth, and dropped a brick in it, it would take 45 minutes to get to the bottom – 4,000 miles down.
7. Your body sheds 10 billion flakes of skin every day.
8. The Earth weighs 6,500 million million million tons.
9. Honey is the only food consumed by humans that doesn’t go off.
10. The Hawaiian alphabet has only 12 letters.
11. A donkey can sink into quicksand but a mule can’t.
12. Every time you sneeze your heart stops a second.
13. There are 22 miles more canals in Birmingham UK than in Venice.
14. Potato crisps were invented by a Mr Crumm.
15. Facetious and abstemious contain all the vowels in their correct order.
16. Eskimoes have hundreds of words for snow but none for hello.
17. The word “set” has the most definitions in the English language.
18. The only 15 letter word that can be spelled without repeating its letters is uncopyrightable.
19. Windmills always turn counter-clockwise.
20. The “Sixth Sick Sheik’s Sixth Sheep’s Sick” is the hardest tongue-twister.
21. The longest English word without a vowel is twyndyllyngs which means "twins".
22. 1 x 8 + 1 = 9; 12 x 8 + 2 = 98; 123 x 8 + 3 = 987; 1234 x 8 + 4 = 9876; 12345 x 8 + 5 = 98765; 123456 x 8 + 6 = 987654; 1234567 x 8 + 7 = 9876543; 12345678 x 8 + 8 = 98765432; 123456789 x 8 + 9 = 987654321
23. The word "dreamt" is the only common word in the English language that ends in "mt".
24. Albert Einstein never wore any socks.
25. The average human will eat 8 spiders while asleep in their lifetime.
26. In space, astronauts cannot cry because there is no gravity.
27. Hummingbirds are the only creatures that can fly backwards.
28. An ostrich’s eye is bigger than its brain.
29. Cockroaches can live 9 days without their heads before they starve to death.
30. A flamingo can eat only when its head is upside down.
31. The lighter was invented before the match.
32. It is physically impossible for pigs to look up at the sky.
33. The average person has over 1,460 dreams a year!
34. Scientists with high-speed cameras have discovered that rain drops are not tear shaped but rather look like hamburger buns.
35. The first Internet domain name ever registered was Symbolics.com on March 15, 1985.
36. When Alexander Graham Bell invented the telephone back in 1876, only six phones were sold in the first month.
37. Approximately 7.5% of all office documents get lost.
38. Business.com is currently the most expensive domain name sold: for $7.5 million.
39. In 2001, the five most valuable brand names in order were Coca-Cola, Microsoft, IBM, GE, and Nokia.
40. In Canada, the most productive day of the working week is Tuesday.
41. In a study by the University of Chicago in 1907, it was concluded that the easiest colour to spot is yellow. This is why John Hertz, who is the founder of the Yellow Cab Company picked cabs to be yellow.
42. It takes about 63,000 trees to make the newsprint for the average Sunday edition of The New York Times.
43. On average a business document is copied 19 times.
44. The largest employer in the world is the Indian railway system in India, employing over 1.6 million people.
45. Warner Chappel Music owns the copyright to the song "Happy Birthday." They make over $1 million in royalties every year from the commercial use of the song.
46. All babies are colour-blind when they are born.
47. Children grow faster in the springtime than any other season during the year.
48. Each nostril of a human being registers smells in a different way. Smells that are made from the right nostril are more pleasant than the left. However, smells can be detected more accurately when made by the left nostril.
49. Humans are born with 350 bones in their body, however when a person reaches adulthood they only have 206 bones. This occurs because many of them join together to make a single bone.
50. May babies are on average 200 grams heavier than babies born in other months.
51. Leonardo da Vinci was dyslexic, and he often wrote backwards.
52. Nazi leader Adolf Hitler had only one testicle.
53. Queen Lydia Liliuokalani was the last reigning monarch of the Hawaiian Islands. She was also the only Queen the United States ever had.
54. Rolling Stones band member Bill Wyman married a 19 year-old model Mandy Smith in 1988. At the same time Wyman's son was engaged to Mandy Smith's mother. If his son had married Smith's mother, Wyman would have been the step grandfather to his own wife.
55. There are 158 verses in the Greek National Anthem.
56. There are about 6,800 languages in the world.
57. There was no punctuation until the 15th century.
58. Children laugh about 400 times a day, while adults laugh on average only 15 times a day.
59. The coconut is the largest seed in the world.
60. There is cyanide in apple pips.
61. If you were to take 1 lb. of spiders web and stretch it out it would circle the whole way around the world!
62. If every person in China stood on a chair and jumped off at the same time...it would knock the earth off its axis!
63. A mole can dig a tunnel 300 feet long in just one night!
64. The shortest war on record, between Britain and Zanzibar in 1896, lasted just 38 minutes.
65. The Shell Oil Company originally began as a novelty shop in London that sold seashells.
66. The symbols + (addition) and – (subtraction) came into general use in 1489.
67. If you save one penny and double it every successive day, (day two you have 2 pennies and day three you have 4 pennies, and so on), by the end of 30 days you’ll have $5,368,708! (or £’s or whatever currency).
68. It is not possible to tickle yourself. The cerebellum, a part of the brain, warns the rest of the brain that you are about to tickle yourself. Since your brain knows this, it ignores the resulting sensation.
69. The best time for a person to buy shoes is in the afternoon. This is because the foot tends to swell a bit around this time.
70. The typical lead pencil can draw a line that is thirty-five miles long.
71. Due to precipitation, for a few weeks, K2 is taller than Mt. Everest.
72. Astronauts get taller when they are in space.
73. There are over one hundred billion galaxies with each galaxy having billions of stars.
74. The surface area of the lungs is roughly the same size as a tennis court.
75. A dog can hear sounds that are 100 times fainter than the faintest sounds that a person can hear. If a person can just hear a noise that is coming from 10 feet away, a dog could hear that same noise from 100 feet away.
76. If a sole (a type of fish) lays upon a chessboard it can change the colouring of its body to match the pattern of the chess board. The sole takes about 4 minutes to make the change.
77. Of all the animals on earth the mosquito has contributed to the deaths of more people than any other animal.
78. In the courts of the Roman Empire, instead of swearing an oath on a bible, men swore to the truth on their statements while holding their genitals. Hence the word 'testify', from 'testicles'.
79. The first soap powder, produced in 1907, was made with Perborate and Silicate - hence its brand name, Persil.
80. If we could shrink the earth's population to a village of precisely 100 people, with all the existing human ratios remaining the same, there would be 57 Asians, 21 Europeans, 14 from the Americas and 8 Africans. Only 1 would own a computer.
81. All elephants walk on tiptoe, because the back portion of their foot is made up of all fat and no bone.
82. Our eyes are always the same size from birth, but our nose and ears never stop growing.
83. Hawaii has the only royal palace in the United States.
84. Chicken liver can be used to change A type blood to O type blood.
85. It takes only 8 minutes for sunlight to travel from the sun to the earth, which also means, if you see the sun go out, it actually went out 8 minutes ago.
86. The strongest muscle in the body is the tongue.
87. An octopus has 3 hearts.
88. If the population of China walked past you in single file, the line would never end because of the rate of reproduction.
89. The hair on a polar bear is not white, but clear. They reflect light, so they appear white.
90. Right-handed people live, on average, nine years longer than left-handed people do.
91. The combination "ough" can be pronounced in 9 different ways; Read this: "A rough-coated, dough-faced, thoughtful ploughman strode through the streets of Scarborough; after falling into a slough, he coughed and hiccoughed."
92. The blue whale has a heart the size of a small car and its blood vessel is so broad, that a person could swim through it.
93. A left-handed person finds it easier to open a jar than a right-handed person because they can supply a stronger anticlockwise turning force than a right-handed person. However a right-handed person will find it easier to tighten the jar up afterwards.
94. The orbit of the Moon about the Earth would fit easily inside the Sun.
95. A chameleon can move its eyes in two directions at the same time.
96. Typewriter is the longest word that can be made only using one row on the keyboard.
97. Because of the rotation of earth you can throw a ball farther to the west than to the east.
98. The name of all the continents ends with the same letter that they start with.
99. Rubber bands last longer when refrigerated.
100. There are 293 ways to make change for a dollar (euro, pound).
1. Nerve impulses to and from the brain travel as fast as 170 miles per hour.
2. The brain operates on the same amount of power as 10-watt light bulb.
3. The human brain cell can hold 5 times as much information as the Encyclopedia Britannica.
4. Your brain uses 20% of the oxygen that enters your bloodstream.
5. The brain is much more active at night than during the day.
6. Scientists say the higher your I.Q. the more you dream.
7. Neurons continue to grow throughout human life.
8. Information travels at different speeds within different types of neurons.
9. The brain itself cannot feel pain.
10. 80% of the brain is water.
-HAIR & NAILS
1. Facial hair grows faster than any other hair on the body.
2. Every day the average person loses 60-100 strands of hair.
3. Women’s hair is about half the diameter of men’s hair.
4. One human hair can support 3.5 ounces.
5. The fastest growing nail is on the middle finger.
6. There are as many hairs per square inch on your body as a chimpanzee.
7. Blondes have more hair.
8. Fingernails grow nearly 4 times faster than toenails.
9. The lifespan of a human hair is 3 to 7 years on average.
10. You must lose over 50% of your scalp hairs before it is apparent to anyone.
11. Human hair is virtually indestructible.
1. The largest internal organ is the small intestine.
2. The human heart creates enough pressure to squirt blood 30 feet.
3. The acid in your stomach is strong enough to dissolve razorblades.
4. The human body is estimated to have 60,000 miles of blood vessels.
5. You get a new stomach lining every three to four days.
6. The surface area of a human lung is equal to a tennis court.
7. Women's hearts beat faster than men's
8. Scientists have counted over 500 different liver functions.
9. The aorta is nearly the diameter of a garden hose.
10. Your left lung is smaller than your right lung to make room for your heart.
11. You could remove a large part of your internal organs and survive.
12. The adrenal glands change size throughout life.
1. Sneezes regularly exceed 101 mph.
2. Coughs clock in about 60 mph.
3. Women blink twice as many times than men do.
4. A full bladder is roughly the size of a softball.
5. Approximately 75% human waste is made of water.
6. Feet have 500,000 sweat glands and can produce more than a pint of sweat a day.
7. During your lifetime, you will produce enough saliva to fill two swimming pools.
8. The average person expels flatulence 14 times each day.
9. Earwax production is necessary for good ear health.
Koala bears only eat eucalyptus leaves. They never drink, for there is enough water in the leaves.
Elvis was originally blond
The best sold book in the world in the Bible. It is also the most stolen.
The actress who played Moaning Myrtle in the harry potter movies is actually 37 years old and is the oldest actress to portray a Hogwarts student.
1-In the 1880s in England,"Pants" Was considered a dirty word.
2-Leonardo Da Vinci is a bastard,has no surname(Vinci is his hometown,Da Vinci means "Of Vinci")and is Homosexual.
3-A shrimp's heart is in its head.
4-The guy who wrote Scarface was addicted to cocaine.
5-If there's a statue of a warrior on a horse in a garden,If the horse has two feet in the air,the warrior died in battle,if it has one foot in the air,then he died after battle from wounds sustained from it,If it has no feet in the air,then he died of natural cause.
6-From 1942 to 1944,Oscar awards were made of plastic.
7-2 years ago,A man from Portugal Lost his wedding ring while going for a swim,and couple of months back,he bought a fish,and inside...he didn't find the ring.
8-The rarest Blood type is H,found in only 12 people since its discovery.
9-Ketchup was originally used as a medicine.
10-Smart people have more zinc in their hair.
11-Most people listen better with their right ear.
12-Einstein was a high-school drop out and he couldn't speak until he was 4.
13-Attila the Hun,killed his brother on a hunting trip to assume control.
14-The English Explorer who discovered King Tut Ankh Amun's Cemetery in 1926 tripped over walking and started hallucinating and got paralyzed all of a sudden and died hours later in the hospital of unknown cause.
15-Gazelles sleep only 5 minutes a day.
16-Cows don't say "MOOOOOH"They say "OOOOOOH"because they can't put together their lips.
17-85% of Men that cheat on their wives die while having sex.
18-Females can have an hour long orgasm.
19-300,000 Babies are born everyday,and 140,000 people die everyday.
20-Napoleon Bonaparte and Adolf Hitler,100 years apart,both dreamt of world domination,both defeated in Russia,and both committed suicide.
21-Diego Maradona and Lionel Messi,Both great Argentinian footballers,both Left-footed,Both Last names begin with an M,Both have/had long hair,both scored intentionally with their hand.
Something to say? Sign in with one of these options:
Log in to Fanpop!
Not yet registered? Create a new Fanpop account!
Bella 白鳥, スワン and Elena Gilbert
Ripley's Believe it または Not