Dr.HOUSE(ドクター・ハウス) Inconsistency in opening credits?

numbnu7s posted on Feb 07, 2008 at 05:34AM
Can you help me?

In the opening credits each actors name is shown behind a medical image except for Jennifer Morrison. Her name is shown on a backdrop of row boats on a river. This seems very inconsistent with the rest of the opening and I was wondering if there was any significance to the difference.

You help is appreciated.

Dr.HOUSE(ドクター・ハウス) 10 返信

Click here to write a response...
1年以上前 bainmoussant said…
I replied to a very similar post on the Fox forum a few weeks ago, so I apologize if you're familiar with it because I'm going to repeat here what I said there!

I think that each of the characters on the show represents an extension to House's limited self, and that the backdrops in the opening credits illustrate the way the characters make up for House's limitations.

For instance, Edelstein's name is associated with veins and blood because her character is a life giving force to House: she saved his life at least twice and she provided him with a job without which he'd probably be dead. Blood can also be linked to passion, anger, emotional upheaval: Cuddy and House regularly make each other's blood boil. And if you think of religion, blood and the colour red (a favourite in Cuddy's wardrobe) are common symbols for guilt and sin... (Cuddy's conscience is not exactly clear where House is concerned!)

If I stick to my far-fetched interpretation of symbols (!), I think that Morrison's character is the one who enables House (sometimes forces him!) to connect with his feelings. Indeed, water and rivers, like feelings and emotions, cannot quite be grasped, they're beyond our control, something House resents.
The fact that Morrison/Cameron is the only one who gets a backdrop of an exterior scene may indicate that she once provided House with the illusion of a way out of his misery and loneliness. I think that she was (still is?) a fantasy to House, the somewhat impossible dream of escaping his entrapment and leading a normal life.

I'm sorry if I bored you to death with my very long post! I'd love to hear what you guys think of my (ridiculous) theory!
1年以上前 tubby2002 said…
that was awesome...do you have your interpretations for the rest of the names in the opening credits because if you do i would love to hear them...
1年以上前 misanthrope86 said…
I think your "ridiculous theory" is brilliant! I too would like to hear what you think about the other names, because I really think you have hit the nail on the head with these ones.
1年以上前 oldmovie said…
OMG that was amazing, I especially love the Lisa Edelstein interpretation! Fantastic, my English teacher would love you!
1年以上前 limegreen47 said…
Interesting. So, applying this to the others, this makes Wilson House's brain, Chase his backbone and Foreman his...shoulder? Or general torso area?

I'd actually really like to hear what you have to say about the rest of the characters :)
1年以上前 EverybodyLies said…
Chase has no backbone. He can't stand up.
In Airborne, House points to the little kid and says, "You agree with everything I say." Chase.

Wilson is the brain of House. He makes House think about things which he normally wouldn't think about. He is House's conscience, which he points out in some episode that I'm too tired to go look up.

You got me with Foreman. xDD
1年以上前 numbnu7s said…
Great stuff gang... thanks.

I would offer a theory for Foreman/Shoulder: If you notice, the shot pans across the chest and the heart is actually beating in time with the music (I love Massive Attack).

If Chase is the "Yes man" and represents the spine (or lack therof) and Cameron is the emotional connection perhaps Foreman is the soul or heart. In the case of House it seems he is at eternal odds with himself, perhaps not following his heart. That could be why Foreman is often juxtaposed to House. To cite the same episode, "Airborne", House tells the Foreman doppleganger to disagree with everything he says.

1年以上前 misanthrope86 said…
Genius!

I think that is very true.
1年以上前 bainmoussant said…
I’m glad you guys think my crazy thoughts make sense!
So you want to hear more rambling? OK then! Glad to oblige!

House of course is the head, both literally (he is after all the head of the diagnostics department and the main character on this show) and metaphorically, since it also refers to his extraordinary mental abilities and wide knowledge. The fact that the body is truncated only goes to show how much House despises the physical, a contempt which does not only stem from the trauma of being a cripple but also from his inability to deal with anything that is not plainly rational (i.e. God, the afterlife, magic, love, etc.).

I find it very interesting that, by contrast, David Shore’s name appears on a backdrop of a body without a head. It could mean that, as the creator of House, he lent his mind (and soul?) to his creature!

I agree with EverybodyLies on Wilson, he is indeed House’s conscience : his role is to echo House’s thoughts and dissect them to challenge their logic. He’s his Jiminy Cricket (James – Jimmy – Wilson !).

OK, enough with the lecture! I’m not sure about Foreman and Chase. I need to put more thought into it, but it’s late and I need some sleep! What do you guys think?
1年以上前 Atnilaknot said…
House: the head
Cuddy: the power - blood fuels the body, transports nutrients, removes wastes
Foreman: the conscience - heart
Wilson: the confidante - connecting the two halves of the brain (logic with creativity)
Cameron: the emotions - water is unmappable and you need to surf them
David Shore: the apparatus